You may be someone who is starting to appreciate cooking things on the grill that you have purchased. You want to impress your family or a special someone by cooking the perfect steak. You should remember that people have different preferences when it comes to the perfect steak. There are some people who like their steak almost rare while others would like theirs well done.
In order to cook the perfect steak, you should first know how to slice it properly. You can always purchase your steaks sliced but if in case you want to slice the steak yourself, having the right knife is essential. You may want to check a chef’s knife that is well-known because it is very easy to use. Expect that it can be very sharp. People who compare it with the others that they have used before find it difficult to reach a conclusion until they have used the knife. They usually realize that this is the one that they want to use for cooking again and again.
If you are already okay with the knife that you are using, you have to familiarize yourself with the steak. Do you honestly think that this is something that you can work with? Is it something that you will have fun cooking? You should know the texture of a raw steak from a well done steak. This way, you will not become confused.
Here are the different steak doneness types that you should be familiar with:
- Raw – This is the steak before it is cooked. This is usually soft to touch and should be color red. If the color is not red, there is a chance that the meat is not fresh anymore.
- Rear – This is the steak that has been browned on each side. It is warm up to the middle portion but the middle portion still remains red. The texture will be similar to raw meet but with browned sides.
- Medium Rare – This is the type of steak that has been cooked longer on each side. This is warm and only the middle portion will remain red. The sides of the steak will be dark brown and they should have good grill marks that will signify that you have cooked them well.
- Medium – This is the type of steak doneness wherein the middle will be light pink in color but the rest of the steak will be more brown than pink. Remember that this steak should not be blackened in any way.
- Medium Well – This is the type of steak that is already a bit stiff but the middle portion will still be soft. There is only a hint of pink on the steak and most of it would be browned properly.
- Well Done – This is the steak that is cooked all throughout. There is no hint of pink in the middle. To know if you have cooked the steak perfectly, there should not be any burned areas. Take note that this is hard to cook. This should be done in low heat and should be done slowly.
With all of the details that you have learned about cooking steaks, you will surely use your smoker and grill more often than ever.