A lot of people think that all types of wood can be used in order to smoke meat but this is not true at all. There are some that can be used more than others. You just have to be aware of these different types of wood that you can use in order to enhance the flavors of the meat.
There are different types of wood that can be used for different purposes. For example, there are different types of wood that can be used in order to create furniture that cannot be used for other things. The best timber for outdoor decking will also be different from the one that you will use to create your door. It is best that you know what you are looking for so that you can consult with different people about the best wood available.
Some Wood for Smoking
Take note that the different wood for smoking will produce different flavors that you are searching for. There are some types of wood that you have to place in big chunks while there are also others that can be placed in chips. It depends on whether you want the meat to be smoked for a long time or for a short period of time only.
- Apple Wood – This is a type of wood that comes with a fruity scent. This is best used for poultry and pork. People also use this to smoke different types of seafood.
- Cherry Wood – This is a type of wood that can be used to smoke and improve the taste of all meats.
- Birch – Would you like to improve the flavor of your fish and make the taste a little bit stronger? If you answer yes, then this is the type of wood that you should use. You will never go wrong to using this. Salmon smoked in Birch is known to be a popular combination.
- Mesquite – This is the type of wood that you need if you want to smoke a type of meat for a short amount of time. This is also best used for food wherein you have placed some chili peppers because you would like a hint of hotness.
- Maple – This is the type of wood that you should use when you want to have a slightly sweet flavor. This is the most widely used type of wood by people who would like to cook the game or the poultry that they have shot from hunting.
- Pecan Wood – This is normally used by people who would like a slightly strong fruit flavor on their meat. This is commonly used for poultry but this can be used for other types of meat and it will be fine.
Some Wood Types to Avoid
There are some types of wood that produce too much smoke when used. There are also some that come with chemicals so the flavors of the meat will differ greatly. Some examples of wood to avoid are the following:
The more passionate you are about grilling, the more that you can find the right wood to use when you grill your favorite types of meat.